Whereas the North York Seniors Centre has developed a statement of mission as:
North York Seniors Centre provides programs and services to promote the physical, emotional and social well being of adults 55+ living in our diverse community.
The members, volunteers and staff of the organization wish to affirm their commitment to achieving the organization’s mission and objectives in a spirit of cooperation, civility and mutual respect.
In this spirit, the members/clients, volunteers and staff will seek to:
- Treat all with mutual respect; member/client to member/client, member/client to staff, member/client to volunteer, staff to member/client, staff to volunteer, staff to staff, volunteer to member/client, volunteer to staff and volunteer to volunteer
- Avoid condescending tones and attitudes
- Communicate in an efficient and prompt manner
- Request clarification of issues with the applicable and appropriate party(s)
- Respect the confidentiality of relevant issues brought to their attention
- Participate in reconciliation rather than confrontation
- Fulfill all obligations once they have assumed the responsibility, in an efficient and timely manner
- Reaffirm their commitment to making decisions in a democratic manner through a fair and transparent process
- Appreciate each other’s strengths and expertise, realizing we are all working towards a common goal
- Ensure all relationships are without prejudice due to racial, gender, age and cultural diversity
- Use common sense and practice good judgment when relating to one another.