NYSC recognizes the first-ever Nonprofit Sector Appreciation Week that takes place from February 14 – 20,2022.
This is a new recognition of Ontario’s nonprofit sector and its nearly 850,000 workers. It’s based on legislation to recognize nonprofit workers and organizations by the Government of Ontario, Bill 9, Nonprofit Sector Appreciation Week, 2021.
It is championed by MPP Daisy Wai and the Bhayana Family Foundation; more about this week, and celebrates the vital role nonprofits and workers play in creating and maintaining healthy, vibrant and inclusive communities in Ontario.
A few reasons to celebrate:
- NAW2022 Nearly 850,000 nonprofit workers are dedicated to serving, connecting, and supporting all Ontarians.
- Nonprofit workers have continued essential services through the pandemic, such as child care, long-term care, shelters, community health centres, seniors support, and more.
- Much of this work has been done by women workers who are the majority of the nonprofit workforce (77 per cent).
- Nonprofit workers are your neighbours, your friends, your family, and your community leaders.
- Ontario’s 58,000 nonprofits help to create healthy and thriving communities, and contribute $65 billion to the economy.
- Ontario’s nonprofit sector is diverse- from arts and culture, housing, sports and recreation, faith, child development, community health care, the environment, and more.
- Nonprofits are leading advocacy and change for a better, greener, more equitable economy and inclusive society.
- The innovative ways nonprofit workers support Ontarians with creative, local solutions.
- During the pandemic, nonprofit workers have innovated with live virtual concerts to keep us connected, repurposing community kitchens for mobile food programs, telephone trees to reach isolated seniors, virtual sports programs for mental health and physical fitness, pre-loaded phones with wellness supports for Indigenous youth, and much more.
Take this opportunity to support North York Seniors Centre.